If food safety is interesting for you, the career a food inspector might be for you. People of this profession provide examination of organizations that prepare and handle food. They check supermarkets, restaurants and slaughterhouses.
Food inspector accounts for inspection at shipping and terminal points. He is responsible for determination of sorts, condition and quality of meat and other produce. They should observe cargo and carriers at sealing and loading points. As well food inspector administrates the records and certificates.
Duties of food inspectors include checking of animals which are slaughtered. They have to prevent sick animals from slaughtering them for food. Food inspectors check the visible defects in carcasses, which can affect safety of people health and quality of product at all.
They control all the stages of product producing: processing, handling, packaging. It is necessary to be sure that the quality of product is on a high level and that product is truthfully labeled.
People of this occupation test food for the presence of pathogenic, chemical residues, microorganisms and volatile drug.
Among the other tasks which food inspectors responsible for are follow:
- Setting the standards for activities related to the production of poultry and meat products;
- Setting the standards for food additives, ingredients, and compounds which are used for preparing and packaging poultry and meat products;
- Setting standards for labeling;
- Approving labels for products;
- Inspection of establishment where food is manufactured, stored and sold;
- Reviewing and monitoring the inspection systems in the countries of origin of products;
Usually food inspectors study such branches of science like Mathematic, Analytic, Organizational Skill, Computer Skill, Written Communications, Technical, Research, Logical, Goal Oriented, Investigative Skills.
If all this sounds exciting to you, make following steps to become a specialist in this field:
- Get food safety undergraduate degree from an accredited university or college. As well it is possible to get degree in a related field, for example, agriculture, chemistry or biology.
- Find bureau of meat and food inspection and take certification classes which are offered by it. It will assist during consideration of your resume.
- Then you have to enroll in Inspection Training Program of the USDA. To do it you should fill the application, which you can find on the website of United Fresh Produce Association.
- If you hadn’t received a bachelor’s degree in the fields which are listed in the first step, you have to write in your resume at least one year of experience in the field of food industry.
- Apply to agencies and companies seeking food inspectors. State agencies as well as federal one employ food inspectors.
Online Nutrition Degree Programs
New York Chiropractic College
Penn Foster Career School
- Barbecue and Food Safety
- Food Science Degree
- Secrets Of Healthy Nutrition To Fight Cancer
- Top Shocking Ingredients in Fast Food
- Degrees in Animal Nutrition